What is Microstock?
Microstock Agencies are Stock Agencies that:
- Source their images exclusively via the Internet,
- Accept pictures from a wider range of photographers than the traditional Stock Agencies (including Amateurs)
- Sell the pictures at very low rates (generally less than 1 or 2 USD for a royalty-free image).
Advantages and Disadvantages
- It is definitely easier to be listed as a Photographer in a Microstock Image Agency than in a classical Stock Image Agency
- It is much easier to have pictures accepted than at a classical Stock Image Agency, where expectations can turn downright frustrating
- But: once you are working with Microstock Agencies, the odds are that no classical Stock Image Agency will ever work with you.
- For that reason, we would strongly recommend not to go towards Micro Stock!